Expressi Banana Chai Cake
Banana Chai Cake
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the sugar and bananas on a medium speed, until all is broken.
- Add in the sifted dry ingredients on a slow speed, increase the speed to medium until all is combined.
- Insert one EXPRESSI Chai Latte capsule in the EXPRESSI Coffee Machine (refer to machine instructions to ensure machine is set up for use). Select the ‘ESPRESSO’ button, which is the smallest cup size option. Repeat this process an additional two times using three capsules in total.
- Gradually add the eggs, oil and EXPRESSI Chai Latte into the electric mixer.
- Spray an 11 x 6 x 20cm tin with oil, pour in the mixture and bake in the oven at 160°C for 50 minutes and then turn the tray around and cook for a further 50 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and test with a wooden skewer to check it comes out clean. Remove from tin and allow to cool. Slice the cake, each slice to be 2cm thick.
- Insert one EXPRESSI Chai Latte capsule in the EXPRESSI Coffee Machine (refer to machine instructions to ensure machine is set up for use). Select the ‘ESPRESSO’ button, which is the smallest cup size option.
- Place the EXPRESSI Chai Latte, milk, eggs, sugar and mixed spice in a bowl. Whisk well together until all is combined.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat until foaming.
- Dip six banana bread slices, one at a time, in the egg mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer to serving plates. Repeat with remaining butter, bread and egg mixture.
- Semi whisk the cream.
- Allow the EXPRESSI Chai Latte to cool. Once cooled, fold through the cream.
- Slice banana through the centre, then half way. Sprinkle caster sugar on top and blowtorch to caramelise it. If you don’t have a blowtorch, place under the grill or pan fry.
To Serve: Pan fry the banana cake, add caramelised banana and a quenelle of cream.
Recipe courtesy of Anna Polyviou