Chunky Sweet Potato and Apple Soup with Cheese Croutons
- Heat the oil, then add the onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes to give a little colour.
- Next add the potatoes, apples, stock and water, and bring to the boil. Season well with salt and pepper, then turn down the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and very soft, mash roughly with a potato masher, until you have a thickish chunky purée. This will thicken considerably.
- Add the cream and check the seasoning, adjusting if needed.
- Meanwhile, cut the bread into diagonal slices and toast on 1 side.Turn over and sprinkle generously with the shredded cheese.
- Return to the grill until the cheese melts.
- Serve the soup in deep bowls with 2 cheese croutons on top.