Sticky date & banana cake with salted butterscotch sauce
- Preheat oven to 190°C (Or 170°C if fan forced oven). Grease a 21cm (base) non-stick, bundt pan (top measures 15cm).
- Combine dates and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in bicarb. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Beat butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined (mixture may look curdled).
- Mash the bananas with a fork (you should have 1 cup). Stir banana and date mixture into the butter mixture.
- Sift the flour and cinnamon together over the cake batter. Stir until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven. Stand 15 minutes. Turn out cake onto a serving plate.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir over a low heat until butter is melted. Bring to boil, boil gently over medium heat for about 6-8 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Serve warm cake with butterscotch sauce and ice cream if desired.
RECIPE: courtesy of Australian Bananas