Coq Au Vin
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pan, heat the oil and butter. Add celery, garlic, carrot and pancetta (or bacon), and sauté over a low heat for about 8 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Combine the chicken, salt, white pepper and flour in a bowl and toss through.
- Heat the vegetable oil over a med- high heat and sauté the chicken in batches until well browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the same pan again and sauté over a low heat for 5 minutes or until slightly coloured.
- Return the chicken pieces and their juices to the pan, turn the heat to high, and pour in the cognac. Reduce slightly then ignite to flambé. Allow the flames to die down then pour in the red wine and simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, reserved vegetable mixture, herbs and redcurrant jelly, and simmer covered for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is just tender. Serve with your favourite potatoes.