Puff Pastry Donuts Recipe
How to Make Puff Pastry Donuts
- Heat oil in a deep fryer (or deep pan) to 180°C.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean work surface. Lay one pastry sheet on floured surface and using round cookie cutters, cut out 6 large circles for the donuts and 6 smaller circles inside the larger circles to form a donut shape. (Each pastry sheet should make about 6 donut shapes, depending on the size of your cutters). Remove the centre circle from each donut and brush each with a little of the whisked egg.
- Repeat this process for all 6 pastry sheets. Stack the cut donut shapes, one on top of the other, until you get a stack 12 layers high for each donut. Set each completed donut aside and continue making the stacks until you have 3 donuts (each 12 layers high).
- When the oil is hot enough, using a skewer, lower each donut into the oil and fry for about 5-7 minutes until cooked though.
- While donuts are frying, mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl.
- Remove the donuts and place on paper towel to drain. While they are still warm, toss them in the cinnamon and sugar and place on a cooling rack until ready to serve.
Tip: Can be stored in an airtight container.
Optional: Drizzle with maple syrup or dust with icing sugar.