Italian Style Pork Sausage and Tomato Soup Recipe
How to Make Italian Style Pork Sausage and Tomato Soup
- Carefully remove sausage meat from casings and place into a bowl. Add in basil and oregano. Season with salt and papper. Mix well with hands.
- Using approximately 1 heaped teaspoon of sausage filling per ball, form into small meatballs.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Brown sausage meatballs in 2 batches, until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and heat to medium. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add celery and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the pan and break up with a wooden spoon. Add stock, bay leaves and sugar. Cover and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat. Partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Add sausage meatballs and simmer, stirring occasionally, for a further 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and soup is thick. Season to taste. Stir through parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
TIP: Add a pinch of chilli flakes to the soup for a spicy twist.
RECIPE: Courtesy of Australian Pork.