Pork Scratchings Recipe
How to Make Pork Scratchings
- Remove pork belly from packet and thoroughly pat dry using paper towel.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully remove the skin from the pork belly. Start at one end and run the knife between the skin and the first layer of fat. Put the meat aside for another meal (see below**).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place pork skin side up. Sprinkle generously with salt and place in the fridge overnight. This will help to dry it out and draw any excess moisture out of the skin.
- The next day preheat oven to 200°C (or 180°C fan-forced) and remove the skin from the fridge. Wipe off salt and pat dry again using paper towel.
- Roll up the rind like a Swiss roll. Cut carefully into thin slices with a very sharp knife. Unroll each piece and you will have long strips of rind. Cut them into smaller pieces as desired.*
- Rub skin side with salt and place on a baking rack on top of the oven tray, skin side up. You may also choose to season with salt again or add other herbs to your salt mix for extra flavour. Let pork rind rest for 10 minutes and pat dry any excess moisture that beads up, with paper towel before you add to oven.
- Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes or until skin is brown, bubbly and crispy. Check oven very regularly in the last 10 minutes of cooking as it can burn quite quickly.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. Enjoy.
*If your pork rind has any meat or much fat underneath, then trim this from the rind before you salt and bake, for a crispier result.
**Looking for a Pork Belly recipe?
Try our recipe for Pork Belly Popcorn Bites, as you’ve already got the skin removed!