Honey Baked Apples with Walnuts and Sultanas Recipe
How to Make Honey Baked Apples with Walnuts and Sultanas
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan-forced). Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop the walnuts and set aside.
- Combine the orange juice, rind, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar in a bowl. Mix well.
- Cut apples in half, scoop out the core and remove the stem. Slice each apple 6 times, thinly across the width, ensuring you don’t slice all the way through the apple. Carefully slice every second “slice” at a slight angle and remove the slice, leaving 3 openings ready to stuff.
- Dip each apple in the orange juice mixture and then place apples onto a baking tray.
- Heat honey, vanilla and butter in a saucepan over medium to low heat, gently until butter is melted. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or, until mixture becomes thick with a caramel consistency (do not let it sit for long off the heat, as it will begin to harden).
- When the honey mixture is ready, remove it from the heat and stir in the sultanas and walnuts. Stuff the slices with honey walnut mixture.
- Roast the apples for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Baste apples halfway through cooking with sauce that has come off apples while cooking.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe: Courtesy of Colleen, ALDI Test Kitchen