Lamb Shank Soup Recipe
How to Make Lamb Shank Soup
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole dish. Add the lamb and brown for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook for a further minute. Stir in the diced tomatoes, chicken stock cubes, water, potatoes, sugar and vinegar. Bring to a simmer over a low heat.
- Return the lamb shanks to the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1½-2 hours or until the lamb is very tender and potatoes cooked.
- When the lamb shanks are nearly ready, prepare the Brussells sprouts. Rinse and remove outer leaves or any debris. Remove the ends and discard. Slice half way through each of the sprouts and slice all the way through any larger ones. Steam (your preferred method) for 5 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain any excess water and return to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Add butter and stir through.
- When lamb shank soup is ready, add in sprouts or serve with sprouts as a side dish. Garnish with rosemary sprigs.