Pumpkin Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
How to Make Pumpkin Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- To make pumpkin puree: peel and deseed pumpkin. Chop into small pieces. Place in saucepan and cover with water. Place on medium heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pumpkin is soft – approximately 15 minutes. Drain and leave pupkin in strainer while cooling, ensuring as much water as possible is removed. Mash to use.
- To make the apple crumble ice cream: place butter in pan over medium heat. Add sugar and heat until it changes to a light, golden colour. Add apples and reduce to low heat. Cook until apples are tender. Remove from heat and cool.
- To make apple crumble: heat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Mix flour and sugar together in a bowl. Add butter and rub into mix until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Place on tray and spread out. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- Scoop ice cream into a bowl, add apples and crumble mix. Mix together well ensuring all topping is equally distributed. Press into a lined lamington tin. Put in freezer and freeze for 4-6 hours or until firm.
- To make the pumpkin ice cream: place pumpkin purée into a bowl. Add maple syrup, spices and pecans. Mix well. Add softened ice cream and mix together well, ensuring all topping is equally distributed. Press into a lined lamington tin. Put in freezer and freeze for 4-6 hours or until firm.
- To make cookies: in a mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, ½ cup pumpkin purée and maple syrup until well combined. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Add to pumpkin mixture and use hand beater on low to mix. Place dough in fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Remove dough from fridge. To make balls scoop out 1½ tablespoons per ball and roll. Place on tray in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking tray and transfer balls to this. Using the palm of your hand, gently flatten dough down. Place in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on tray for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack.
- To assemble cookies: remove ice creams from freezer. Using a scone cutter that is the same size as your cookies, cut into ice cream to make a round. Place on top of cookie then place another cookie on top of ice cream. Do this until 8 ice cream cookies are made. Melt choc melts in microwave. To coat cookies, dip one half into chocolate. Stand on side on tray. Place back in freezer until ready to serve.
Recipe: Courtesy of Colleen and Tracey – ALDI Test Kitchen