Grape Tart Recipe
How to Make a Grape Tart
- Sift flour into the bowl of a large food processor and add cubed butter. Blend until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Slowly add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture starts to come together into a smooth ball. You will usually need 3-4 tablespoons depending on your flour.
- Remove dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap, place in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Remove dough from the fridge, lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin. Roll dough out into a large circle until it’s approximately 7mm thick.
- Grease a 22cm fluted tart tin. Carefully lay pastry in the tin, there should be overhanging pastry over the edges. Carefully press pastry around the edges and bottom of the tin. Roll your rolling pin around the top edge of the tin to cut off and remove any excess pastry.
- Place tart tin back into the fridge to let rest for a further 10 minutes. Cut a piece of baking paper large enough to cover the base and sides of your tart. Place baking weights or raw rice on top of baking paper to weigh down pasty while cooking.
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove baking weights and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack. Once cool enough to handle remove from tin.
- Start on the pastry cream by whisking the egg yolks, sugar and corn flour together in a large bowl until fully combined and no lumps remain.
- Heat milk in a heavy-based saucepan, on medium heat, until just starting to steam. Whilst whisking, slowly pour half of the milk into the egg mixture, whisk continuously until incorporated.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture back into the pan with the remaining milk and place back onto the stove over a medium heat.
- Whisk continuously until the mixture starts to thicken – 3-4 minutes. The mixture, when done, should resemble a thick custard and hold shape when you drag a spoon through it. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour pastry cream into cooled tart shell and use a spatula to evenly spread until the top is smooth.
- Place in the fridge to cool for 2 hours. After 2 hours remove from the fridge and top with cut grapes, to serve.