Braised Pork Belly, Pumpkin Mash and Apple Slaw Recipe
How to Make Braised Pork Belly, Pumpkin Mash and Apple Slaw
- Dry the pork belly with paper towel. Sprinkle all over with salt, especially over the skin and leave uncovered in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight, to dry the skin.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Place the pork in a baking tray skin side up. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and cook for another 25-30 minutes or until the skin is crispy and meat cooked.
- To make the apple slaw: finely shred the cabbage, cut the apples into julienne strips and finely slice the spring onion. Whisk together the mustard, vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Add the dressing mixture and gently toss together.
- When pork is cooked, place on a plate, lightly cover with foil and rest for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the skin from the pumpkin, remove the seeds and cut into 2cm pieces. Steam or microwave until tender and drain. Mash the pumpkin and butter in a large bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut pork belly into squares* to serve on a bed of pumpkin mash and with a side of apple slaw.
*Tip: Cut through the crackling with a pair of kitchen scissors. Then cut the meat part with a sharp knife.