Watermelon Cake Recipe
How to Make a Watermelon Cake
- Carefully cut the top and bottom edges of the large watermelon to allow to sit flat. Slice down each side’s outer edge – straight down to make a square. Trim off any excess watermelon skin and white flesh.
- Make a 12 inch round template out of baking paper, or you can use a 12 inch round cake tin. Place the template on top of the watermelon and carefully carve down the melon, to turn it into a round cake. Go around the edges to slowly trim and carve the outer edges to make a smooth, round cake shape.
- Cut the medium watermelon and repeat for second layer using a 10 inch round template. Once melon sides are cleaned, slice through from middle of the melon across to make 2 layers.
- For the the third layer, use an 8 inch round template, cut down the side. Carve the edges to make them round and smooth.
- Make sure you keep each tier the same thickness for even layers.
- To assemble, place the 12 inch watermelon cake base on your platter. Use 4 bamboo skewers to place in the middle of the watermelon, leaving space between each skewer. Layer the 10 inch watermelon, sliding over skewers to hold securely.
- For the top layer, insert half-size skewers onto the middle layer and carefully slide the top layer over the skewers.
- Once assembled you can decorate each layer with half strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Use toothpicks where they are needed to secure fruit, following down the cake front, as decoration.
- Refrigerate until you need to serve.
- Any excess melon you can keep and use in a fruit salad.
RECIPE: Courtesy of Virginia, ALDI Test Kitchen