Roasted Mushroom and Vegetable Stock Recipe
How to make Roasted Mushroom and Vegetable Stock
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Place the mushrooms, celery, onions, leek, carrots and garlic onto 2 flat baking trays and toss with the olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and slightly coloured.
- Tip the roasted vegetables into a heavy-based saucepan and cover with 1.5 litres cold water. Add any remaining pan juices to the pot.
- Add the thyme, parsley, bay leaves (if using) and peppercorns (or cracked pepper) and bring to the boil. Turn down to a gentle simmer for 45 minutes or until richly coloured and flavoured. It will reduce by up to a third. Season to taste with salt.
- Place a piece of muslin cloth into a strainer and strain into a large bowl. Or use a double strainer, to ensure no impurities come through the stock. Allow to cool.
- To store: Ladle into jars or freezer containers. Freeze in ice cube trays or small, feeezer-safe, snap-lock bags.
Tip: For a lighter stock, try using raw vegetables rather than roasted. Avoid using starchy vegetables (like potatoes, pumpkin, etc) as they make the stock cloudy.