Winter Citrus Tart Recipe
How to Make a Winter Citrus Tart
- Start the candied citrus a day in advance, as the slices need to dry overnight.
- Place a cooling rack over a baking tray and set aside. Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan or deep-sided frying pan. Simmer gently for 1 hour or until transparent and soft, over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil and add the sliced lemon or orange slices in an even layer.
- Remove slices from the pan and place in a single layer on the cooling rack. Allow to dry, uncovered overnight. Use to decorate the tart. You can make this candied citrus up to 2 weeks in advance. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the pastry case: process flour, almond meal, icing mixture and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and water and process using the pulse button until pastry just comes together. Turn pastry onto a lightly floured bench and knead lightly until smooth. Shape into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Prepare a springform 24cm cake tin, by lining the base with baking paper and attaching the sides. Using a rolling pin, roll out pastry to a large circle, about 30cm in diameter. Roll pastry lightly onto the rolling pin and drape gently over the cake tin. Adjust the pastry to fit into the base and side of the tin, taking care not to stretch it.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and refrigerate for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Place pastry case tin on an oven tray. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beads or 2 cups of dry, raw rice or beans). Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven. Remove baking beads. Return to oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool.
- To make the filling: heat the lemon or orange juice in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat, until it simmers.
- Whisk together the citrus zest, eggs, sugar and cornflour in a medium-sized bowl until smooth. Very slowly, a little at a time, whisk in the hot orange juice. Pour mixture back into the saucepan.
- Place saucepan back onto a low heat and cook while stirring, until the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and place back into mixing bowl. Whisk in the gelatine powder. Cool slightly then add the soft butter and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour filling into the cooked pastry case. Place in fridge for 3 hours or overnight, before decorating with candied citrus slices.