Ricotta Cheese & Spinach Dumplings Recipe
How to Make Ricotta Cheese and Spinach Dumplings
- Place baby spinach into a large bowl, pour boiling water over and let sit for a few minutes.
- Drain spinach and let it stand for 10 minutes to cool. Squeeze as much excess water from spinach as you can, then chop finely.
- Place ½ cup parmesan cheese, spinach, eggs and ricotta into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Gradually fold in ½ cup flour and mix with wooden spoon. The texture should resemble a sticky dough. Set aside to rest for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining flour onto a baking tray, flour your hands and begin to roll balls. Take roughly 2 tablespoons of mixture and roll around in the flour, pat between your hands to loosely form the dumplings. Refrigerate dumplings to set.
- Place a large pot of salted water onto the stove and bring to a simmer.
- Gently lower dumplings into water and cook in batches for 4-5 minutes. Remove and drain well. Dumplings should be firm but have bounce when squeezed.
- Heat butter in a large, non-stick frying pan, add dumplings and fry on both sides until lightly browned.
- Add basil to pan and use a spoon to baste dumplings with butter. Continue to cook until butter is browned.
- Sprinkle over remaining parmesan cheese and serve hot, straight from the pan.