Strawberry Basil Vegan Cheesecake Recipe
How to Make Strawberry Basil Vegan Cheesecake
- Place a layer of baking paper in the bottom of a 24cm round cake tin with removable base.
- Make the crust layer first. Place cashews, walnuts and coconut into a dry, shallow frypan and toast until lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Add the toasted nuts and coconut to a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely ground. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until well combined and sticky when pressed together. If it’s not sticky enough to hold together, add a few more dates.
- Spoon the crust mix into the prepared tin, spread evenly onto the base and press tightly down. Place in the fridge.
- Make the strawberry layer. Rinse the soaked cashews under running water, then drain. Place the drained cashews into a blender. Add strawberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla and coconut cream and blend until smooth. Slowly add melted coconut oil and blend until incorporated.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture onto the crust layer and smooth out the top. Place into a freezer for about 2 hours or until set enough for the next layer.
- While the strawberrry layer is freezing, make the basil layer. Blanch the basil for about 20 seconds in a pot of boiling water. Immediately rinse under cold water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Rinse the soaked cashews under running water and place the drained cashews into a blender. Add the blanched basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Scoop the solid part from the can of coconut milk, add to the blender and blend until smooth. Slowly add melted coconut oil and blend until incorporated.
- Spoon ¾ of the basil mixture onto the strawberry layer and place it back into the freezer (preferably overnight) until set. Spoon the remaining basil mixture into a bowl and place it in the fridge.
- Once the cake is completely set, take the remaining basil mixture out of the fridge. Scoop off the solid part of the coconut cream and add it to the basil mixture along with the icing mixture and vanilla. Whip the icing with an electric mixer and spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle.
- Carefully remove the cake from the tin and place it onto a serving dish, leaving it to thaw before piping the icing on top.
- Garnish with strawberry slices, a few torn fresh basil leaves and a few fresh, edible flowers (optional). Serve cold.
Tip: Use different nuts of your choice for the base: macadamias, pecans and hazelnuts will also work well in place of the cashews and/or walnuts.