Loaded Sweet Potatoes Recipe
How to make Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (or 180°C fan-forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Pierce the washed sweet potatoes several times with a fork, then rub with a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on tray and cook for 45 minutes or until completely softened.
- *If making your own pesto, preapre now. Lightly toast pine nuts in a dry frying pan. Move continuously for 5 minutes, being careful not to burn them.
- In a mortar and pestle or small food processor, add the basil, garlic, parmesan and toasted pine nuts. Process (or pound with pestle) together to make a coarse paste. Stir in the olive oil and pound or process a little longer untl just combined. Season to taste.
- Place the remaining oil into a frying pan set over a medium to high heat. Add the chopped brocolli and brussels sprouts and fry briskly until warmed through and lightly coloured. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Cut the cooked sweet potatoes into halves and gently scoop out most of the flesh. Transfer the flesh to the warmed greens and stir through.
- Gently fold in the fetta and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture back into the sweet potato shells and drizzle gernerously with the pesto.
- Scatter basil leaves and pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Tip: Top with half a cup of pepitas between the sweet potatoes, for a crunchy iron boost.
Optional: For a stronger flavour, try adding a handful of chopped green olives, sundried tomatoes or marinated capsicum to the filling.