Brioche Berry French Toast
- Place mixed berries and ½ cup caster sugar into a saucepan and stir on medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Stirring for approximately 5 minutes. Set aside while you prepare the egg mixture.
- In a flat-based dish, mix together eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, 1 teaspoon of caster sugar and cream. Mix well. Bread will be added to this mix – 2 slices at a time for approximately 20-30 seconds – to coat one side.
- Heat frypan and add butter. Once butter is starting to bubble, you can add 2 slices of brioche loaf, egg-coated side face down.
- Using a pastry brush, put the egg mixture around the outside edges of the bread, spoon into the centre of the bread 2 spoonsful of mixed berries. Be careful not to overfill and only place in the centre, not near the edges.
- While you are doing this, place the next 2 slices of bread into the egg mix, coating only one side, then place bread onto the ones already in the pan, with the egg coating facing up.
- Gently push your fingers around the edges of the bread to seal the 2 pieces together like a pillow (or a jaffle). Flip bread over to the other side and cook for around 2 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pan, cut in half and serve hot.
- To serve, drizzle lightly with maple syrup and dust with icing mixture.
RECIPE: Courtesy of Kelly, ALDI Test Kitchen