Stained Glass Cookies
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat in between additions, until smooth.
- Beat in the dry ingredients until a dough starts to form. Transfer to a clean surface, lightly dusted with flour. Bring the dough together with your hands.
- Cut in half and shape into two rectangles. Cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (or 140°C fan forced). Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- After 30 minutes of resting, remove dough from fridge and using a rolling pin, roll each rectangle flat until it is 5mm thick. Using cookie cutters, cut as many shapes as you can. Using a smaller cookie cutter, cut a small window in the centre of half the cookies.
- Roll up remaining dough and repeat the process until there is none left.
- Divide shapes amongst baking trays and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Let cookies cool on baking trays for at least 30 minutes.
- Spread your favourite jam onto the centre of all the bottom cookies and sandwich with the top (window) cookies. Dust with icing sugar and serve.