The Cellante Family 200 Year Old Christmas Pudding
- Combine mixed fruit, glacé cherries and brandy in a bowl and cover. Leave to stand overnight.
- Stir fruit mixture, then add breadcrumbs, nutmeg, mixed spice and salt.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and golden syrup. When melted, add bi carb soda. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Add butter mixture, sugar, flour and beaten eggs to fruit mix, then stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Rinse calico pudding wrap under hot water and then squeeze out excess water. Lay the wrap flat on bench and rub with self raising flour on 1 side to form a seal. Pour mixture into middle of the floured side of the wrap, then pull the edges up to form a bundle. Tie securely with string.
- Fill a large pot with water, placing a rack at the bottom for the pudding to rest on. If you don't have a rack for the bottom of your saucepan, turn a small plate upside down and place pudding on this. Immerse pudding in water and bring the water to a rapid simmer.
- Simmer pudding for 4 hours, ensuring the water level is maintained over pudding. Once finished, remove pudding from water and pat dry the exterior with a towel. Hang in a dry, safe place for 2 months, or until ready to be eaten.
- To serve, place pudding in pot of boiling water with rack and rapidly simmer for 4 hours. Remove from pot, take off wrap and pat dry to serve. Garnish with blueberries and raspberries.