Coconut & Lemon Tart with Berries
- To make the coconut shortcrust pastry: process the flour, coconut and sugar until combined. Add the butter and process until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add water and egg yolk and process until mixture just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly. Shape into a disc. Cover in plastic food wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC (or 200ºC fan forced). Roll pastry out on a clean work surface between sheets of baking paper, until large enough to line a 26cm x 16cm (base measurement) loose base tart tin. Ease pastry into tin. Cover with baking paper and baking weights or dried beans or rice and chill for 10 minutes. Place pastry in tin on an oven tray and then blind bake pastry for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for a further 10 minutes or until lightly coloured. Remove from oven. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, to make the lemon filling: whisk the cream, juice, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large jug.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180ºC (or 160ºC fan forced). Carefully pour filling into pastry shell and bake for 35 minutes or until just set at centre. Remove from oven and cool completey.
- Serve tart topped with mixed berries and dusted with extra icing sugar.
Note: When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice and freeze in an ice cube tray to use later in dressings, sauces or as flavoured ice cubes in drinks. For a dish that’s sure to please any crowd, whip up our Lemon and Coconut Custard Tart.