Decadent Layer Berry Cake
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced). Line 2 x 20cm round cake tins with baking paper.
- In a small sauce pot on medium heat, melt golden syrup, butter and sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add bicarb of soda and stir, turn the heat off and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using an electric beater, beat the eggs and milk until light and fluffy. Slowly pour the cooled sauce mixture while beating. Sift flour and add the remaining ingredients and fold through until smooth.
- Evenly distribute the mixture between the 2 cake tins. Bake for 35 minutes or insert a skewer to make sure the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before tipping out onto wire rack. Allow to cool completely.
- For the cream cheese frosting – beat the cream cheese and sugar with an electric beater until smooth, scraping the sides down half way. In another bowl, beat the cream and vanilla essence into soft peaks. Fold both together until combined. Allow to firm a little in the fridge.
- In the meantime, using a knife, take the top off each cake to make a flat top. Evenly divide cake horizontally in half and evenly slice the other cake to match.
- To assemble, lay one cake flat evenly spreading cream cheese frosting, adding a layer of fresh berries. Add second layer of cake and repeat the process. Top the last cake layer by swirling the cream cheese for height and texture. Spread evenly the strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Using a peeler, peel white chocolate bits and sprinkle on top.