Chocolate Mousse Trifle
- Crush biscuits into crumbs in a bowl and set aside. Roughly chop or smash Easter eggs. You may want extra for decorating the trifle later.
- To make the mousse, melt chopped chocolate in the microwave, stirring at 30 second intervals until completely melted. Set aside to cool.
- Separate eggs and beat whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Beat the cream, vanilla, butter and sugar until it has thickened.
- Once the melted chocolate has cooled, add the egg yolks to the mix and stir in. Then add to the cream mix and beat until just combined. Gently fold through the egg white mix, until it is just combined and comes together. Try to keep the mixture as light as possible.
- Place mousse in a container and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until set, or overnight.
- To assemble – into a trifle or glass bowl – spoon a layer of mousse into the bottom of the serving bowl with a large spoon.
- Build the trifle in layers: sprinkling a layer of the biscuit crumbs, followed by whipped cream mixture. Repeat until full.
- Decorate the top of the mousse trifle with chopped chocolate, speckled eggs and mini Easter eggs.
Recipe: Courtesy of Kelly, ALDI Test Kitchen