French Toast Hot Cross Buns
- Preheat oven to 200°C (or 180°C fan forced).
- Cut the plums into quarters, remove the stones and place them in a baking dish.
- Scatter over the soft brown sugar and dot with 15g of the butter.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl, add the cinnamon, orange rind, milk and caster sugar and whisk until combined.
- Slice the hot cross buns in half.
- Soak them in the egg wash for a couple of minutes.
- Fry them in the remaining butter, in batches, until golden on both sides.
- Keep them warm in the oven while you cook the rest.
- Serve topped with the baked plums, drizzled with maple syrup.