Expressi Choux Burger
Vanilla Hazelnut Sable
- In an electric mixer, with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, plain flour and the vanilla seeds on a medium speed until well combined.
- Take the bowl off the machine and roll out the sable between two sheets of baking paper until 2-3mm thick.
- Place the sable onto a flat tray and put into the refrigerator for 30 minutes until firm.
- Cut the sable into 2.5cm discs and lay them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Set aside in the fridge until the choux is ready to bake.
Pate A Choux
- Place water, milk, butter, caster sugar and salt into a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Add the flour and mix constantly until the mixture thickens and pulls away from the sides.
- Cook for 30-60 seconds to develop the gluten.
- Transfer the mix to an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on a medium speed until 60% of the heat is released.
- Add the eggs, bit by bit, until you achieve a glossy paste that should just fall off the beater when tilted.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Fit a piping (icing) bag with an 11mm (½”) pipping nozzle and fill with the choux pastry mixture.
- Using a plain nozzle, pipe 15mm to 7cm diameter rounds onto an unlined baking tray (preferably a heavy iron tray with no sides). Place a disc of sable 6cm with chopped hazelnuts on the top of each round.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and run a metal scraper underneath each choux bun to release it from the tray. The choux pastry should feel hollow when lifted off the tray. Set aside to cool.
- Pour water and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiled, add in the blitzed cherries and then the gelatine.
- Pour it on a tray, 5cm in height, place in freezer to firm and set.
- Once set, cut into a 7 x 7cm square.
Coffee Chantilly Cream
- Bring cream to the boil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once boiled, remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the cream over the chocolate in a bowl.
- Add in the gelatine, whisk until all has melted and combined.
- Insert one EXPRESSI La Spezia capsule in the EXPRESSI Coffee Machine (refer to machine instructions to ensure machine is set up for use). Select the ‘ESPRESSO’ button, which is the smallest cup option. Repeat this process an additional two times using three capsules in total.
- Whisk in the EXPRESSI coffee.
- Place in the fridge with clear wrap on top, until chilled – about three hours.
- Preheat oven to 150°C. In a medium saucepan, add the sugar and water and stir together. Clean down the sides of the saucepan with clean water and a pastry brush.
- Place the saucepan on a high heat and bring to a golden caramel colour. Meanwhile place the hazelnuts onto a small tray and place into the oven to warm up until needed.
- Spray a flat baking tray with baking spray and reserve until needed. When the caramel colour is achieved, take off the heat and add in the warm hazelnuts. Quickly stir the caramel around the hazelnuts to ensure an even coverage.
- Carefully pour the candied hazelnuts onto the prepared tray and spread out. Allow to cool slightly. Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container until assembling the choux burger.
- Cut the choux across the middle.
- Whisk the coffee Chantilly cream mixture until semi whisked.
- Using a plain 15mm nozzle, pipe around in the centre to the edge.
- Sprinkle chopped caramelised nuts in the centre.
- Place the cherry jelly square on top.
- Finish off by placing the other half of the choux on top.
Recipe courtesy of Anna Polyviou