Chicken Meatball Soup
- Wash all herbs and vegetables throughly before cutting and chopping.
- For soup broth: grate 2 cloves of garlic, finely chop the root and stem of coriander. Roughly chop the onion and thinly slice ginger into matchsticks.
- Place stock, star anise, chilli, grated garlic, chopped coriander, chopped onion, ginger slices, brown sugar and soy sauce into a large pot. Slowly warm through on the stove for 30 minutes – do not allow it to simmer.
- Place chicken mince in a bowl, add crushed garlic cloves, minced ginger, coriander stem and lime zest to the bowl. Chop shallot and add to bowl with diced capsicum, bread crumbs, chilli powder, cumin, salt and peper and mix together until well combined.
- Using a tablespoon, measure out the mince and roll into balls then set aside on a tray.
- For the garnish, take the ends off the snow peas, slice shallots on an angle set and set aside.
- In a small pot, boil water and add the corn cobs – cook for 5 minutes. Drain and cool slightly, add to a hot pan to char the sides of the corn. Cut in half, then slice through each side of the cobs, cutting through just off the core so the side panel of corn holds together. Set aside.
- Lightly spray frypan with olive oil spray and on low heat, pan-fry the chicken balls sealing all edges.
- Strain the broth ingredients into a bowl and place liquid back into the pot. Discard the strained ingredients. Add the chicken meatballs to the stock, turn the heat up a little and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Turn the heat to low, add the garnish and vegetables of corn, snow peas and shallots. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve: in each bowl put 4 chicken meatballs, ladle the broth in capturing even amounts of corn, snow peas and shallots. Serve hot.
RECIPE: Courtesy of Virginia, ALDI Test Kitchen