Corned Beef & Pickled Cabbage Sandwich
- Prepare the corned beef according to package directions. Once meat is very tender, slice thinly and set aside. **See below for how to cook Corned Beef Silverside.
- Pickled Cabbage:
While the meat is cooking, prepare the cabbage. Remove outer layer of cabbage leave and the cabbage core.
- In a bowl, mix water, vinegars and sugar then whisk together until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Add salt and a good grind of black pepper.
- Shred cabbage finely with a mandolin slicer or very sharp knife, place shredded cabbage in a large glass bowl.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the cabbage and toss to combine. Tightly cover the bowl and let sit on the bench for 3-4 hours. Stir, then cover and place in the fridge until chilled (at least 1 hour).
- Heat butter in a frypan on medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toast the bread and spread each slice with wholegrain mustard. Place 1-2 tablespoons of sautéed mushrooms on top of the mustard, then layer with several slices of corned beef.
- Top with a heaped tablespoon of pickled cabbage and serve either open faced or with another slice of toasted bread on top.
** How to cook Corned Beef Silverside:
- Remove BRANNANS® Butchery Corned Beef Silverside from bag.
- Place in a large pot and add onion, celery, cloves, brown sugar, vinegar, peppercorns, carrots and bay leaves.
- Add silverside over the top of the ingredients. Fill and cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer with lid on until cooked.
- Allow 30 minutes per 500g once water reaches simmering point.
SERVE HOT: Allow Corned Beef Silverside to rest in cooking water for 30 minutes, then remove and slice.