Granny's Pea and Ham Soup
- Put split peas in bowl and cover with water. Wrap in cling wrap and leave on bench to soak overnight.
- Heat large saucepan or stockpot on medium heat. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 2min. Add onion and carrots. Sauté on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the hard skin from the ham hocks. Add hocks to pan and let cook for 2min to release the flavour.
- Add enough stock to cover the hocks. Add the split peas to the pot. Bring to the boil and simmer for approx 2 hours or until meat is falling off hocks.. If liquid level goes down add water to ensure everything is covered.
- Season with cracked pepper and serve with some crusty bread for a great meal.
This soup will keep for up to 7 days in fridge just re heat the amount you require. If it is too thick just add water to get the correct consistency.
RECIPE: Courtesy of Colleen, ALDI Test Kitchen