Lamb Shanks with Sweet Potato Colcannon
- French trim lamb shanks and brush with some oil. In a large, heavy-based frypan over medium-high heat, brown the lamb shanks well on all sides. Remove and set aside. Chop chorizo into 1cm slices.
- Decrease heat in pan. Pour in the teaspoon of oil then add the small onion and chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally for approximately 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add in the passata, beef stock and oregano. Bring mixture to the boil then reduce heat to low. Place lamb shanks back into pan and partially cover to simmer for approximately 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the colcannon, peel sweet potatoes then chop into chunks, roughly 3cm in size.
- Place a large pot of water on the stove, add 1 teaspoon of salt to pot, over high heat. Once boiling, carefully add the kale and cook for 1 minute, then remove from water using tongs and set aside in a colander to drain and cool. Add the sweet potato to the same water and cook for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until soft. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. Gently squeeze all of the excess water from the kale.
- Check on lamb shanks and remove lid. Continue to cook, uncovered, for another 40 minutes, occasionally checking and stirring. When cooked through, stir in cannellini beans and chopped parsley to warm through. Turn heat to low and sit while you finalise the colcannon.
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan and sauté onion over a low heat for 3 minutes, add streaky bacon and cook for a further 5 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat.
- Using a masher or potato ricer, mash sweet potato until smooth. Add it to the saucepan with the bacon and onion. Add kale, salt, pepper and butter and place back onto the stove. Stir on a low heat until butter has melted.
- While butter is melting, prepare broccolini and cook in boiling salted water, for approximately 3 minutes, until bright green and tender crisp.
- To serve: add sweet potato colcannon, lamb shanks and sauce to each dish. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves.
Recipe: Courtesy of Colleen, ALDI Test Kitchen