- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, onion, garlic, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Roll into large meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Brown meatballs on all sides. Add pasta sauce and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, until meat is cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced).
- Place a quarter cup of shredded mozzarella cheese into each hot dog roll and top with 3-4 meatballs.
- Place meatball subs on a lined baking tray. Bake just until cheese is just melted (approximately 5 minutes). Remove and drizzle each bun with a tablespoon of pesto and sprinkle with shredded parmesan.
- Garnish with torn fresh basil leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe: Courtesy of Colleen, ALDI Test Kitchen