Moroccan Lamb Shanks
- Preheat oven to 160°C (or 140°C for fan forced ovens)
- Heat the oil in a large baking tray over medium heat.
- Toss lamb shanks in flour, shaking off excess.
- Once oil is hot add lamb and brown all over. Season then remove and set aside.
- To the baking pan add the leek, onion and carrots and fry for 7-8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add all of the spices to the onion mix and cook 2min or until fragrant. Add tomato paste and cook 1min. Season.
- Put the lamb shanks back in the casserole dish, cover with white wine, chicken stock and tinned tomatoes, ensuring lamb shanks are covered with liquid. Bring to the boil. Cover and cook in the oven for 3-3 ½ hours depending on size of shanks.
- Remove from the oven and place on stove top on high heat. Remove shanks from sauce and set aside. To sauce add orange juice, orange zest, apricots, dates, lentils. Season.
- Bring sauce to the boil and reduce heat to simmer. Add lamb and simmer 10min.
- Garnish with the toasted almonds and coriander. Serve with couscous.
RECIPE: Courtesy of Colleen, ALDI Test Kitchen