Poached Chicken with Ginger & Shallots
- Wash and clean out chicken cavity, rinsing out any impurities. This will give you a cleaner broth, which you poach.
- Pat chicken dry, Season whole chicken generously with salt, inside and out. Stuff the chicken with the ginger slices and the spring onion. Place the chicken in a large stockpot filled with approximately 8 cups of cold water. Bring the chicken in the pot to the boil over high heat, then immediately turn the heat to low to keep at a simmer.
- Cook for about 45 minutes. Ensure you skim the broth during cooking, for any impurities.
- Remove pan from heat and stand for 1 hour, covered (chicken will continue to cook in residual heat).
- Reserve all of the poaching broth.
- While chicken is cooling, make the chilli sauce by mixing the ingredients in a blender until smooth and bright red. Set aside.
- Cook the rice according to package directions, using the reserved poaching liquid instead of water.
- While your rice is cooking, pat dry chicken with a paper towel. Rub the outside of the chicken, very lightly, with the sesame oil*.
- Remove skin from chicken. Chop down the middle & remove backbone. Remove the drumsticks and set aside. Carefully remove the chicken breasts for slicing. Remove the carcass and rest of the meat from the bones and chop into approx. 6 pieces.
- To serve, place pieces of chick underneath, using a serving board or platter, adding sliced breast meat and drumsticks on top. Garnish with sliced cucumber and sprinkle with fresh coriander.
- Serve with dipping sauce and rice.
*Tip: you can mix your sesame oil with soy sauce to use as a final tasty rub for the chicken, before serving.