Sweet Potato Jacks with Mexican Beans and real Guacamole
The authentic flavour of Mexico is actually very easy to achieve, and the secret is in picking the right herbs and spices. The magic combination of cumin, dry oregano and paprika powder makes everything delicious... especially this vegetarian jacket potato! Even the meat eaters will love this recipe. So no matter what fussy eaters you have to feed, this recipe is a sure thing.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Wash sweet potatoes and slice in half lengthways, making sure the base of each half is able to sit flat. Line a baking tray with baking paper and drizzle with oil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until soft.
- In the meantime, prepare the guacamole. Zest limes, and place zest in mixing bowl. Place zested lime in microwave for 30 seconds to help release juice. Squeeze juice into bowl. Scoop out avocado flesh and add to bowl. Squash with a fork and mix well. Next, add chopped tomato, onion and coriander roots and stems. Mix and season to taste.
- Remove sweet potato from oven and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, leaving the skins (aka jackets) intact. To prepare the filling, drain kidney beans and place in a bowl along with chopped red capsicum, chopped onion, herbs and spices, and flesh of sweet potato. Mix and season to taste. Stuff the jackets, then top with shredded cheese. Increase oven temperature to 220C, place filled jackets back in the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Serve jackets fresh and hot from the oven with a side of guacamole, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkling of coriander leaves.
A couple of important tips:
- Use zest and juice of limes to get your money's worth. After you've zested it, pop the lime in the microwave for 30 seconds to help release more juice.
- The most flavour of coriander is in the stems and roots, so chop these finely for extra oomph. Save the leaves for decoration.
- Learn more about this recipe and watch Sammy & Bella's video demonstration here.