- Defrost prawns as per packet directions. If using prawn with a shell, carefully remove shell and de-vein, keeping the tail in place
- Sift together the corn flour and plain flour and add salt. Add the cold soda water and gently mix together until you have a nice thick batter.
- In a frypan, heat the oil to a medium-high heat. Be careful not to let the oil get too hot, so that the tempura batter doesn’t get over crispy. If the oil temperature is too low, then it will absorb too much oil and will not be crispy enough. Test the oil by dropping a small amount of batter into the hot oil and if it sizzles then it’s ready. Remove that test batter carefully with tongs or a slotted spoon.
- In batches, fry prawns quickly for 3-4 minutes each until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce to dip.
Tip: Once coated, dip your items into the batter gently. You don’t want too much batter, otherwise, you run the risk of the outside being crispy but the inside being mushy.