Smørrebrød - Herring Open Sandwich
- Place white vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and heat for a few minutes, or until sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Thinly slice red and brown onions and place into a bowl with cooled vinegar mix and let sit for 20 minutes.
- In another bowl combine sour cream and mustard.
- Drain herring fillets of excess tomato sauce. Lightly toast bread.
- To build sandwich, first spread sour cream mix onto bread, followed by a few slices of cucumber, herring and the onions. Add chives and finish with capers if desired. Any leftover onion can be saved to use later with salads or sandwiches.
Recipe: Courtesy of Kelly, ALDI Test Kitchen