Stuffed Onion & Bacon Balls
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced).
- In a large bowl, combine mince, bread crumbs, egg, parsley, parmesan cheese and seasoning. Add milk and mix in with hands, to combine well. Roll the meat mixture into evenly-sized, large meatballs and set aside. This mixture will make approximately 20 balls.
- Cut the top and bottom off each of the onions and remove skin. Gently and carefully slice lightly into one side of each onion, cutting into several layers. This will allow you to easily release the outer layers with your fingers, from the onion core. Separate the onions into layers and use the largest outside onion layers to wrap around the meatballs. You will need 2 onion layers per meatball, top and bottom, to wrap the meat, as this will create a seal around the meatballs. If you find large gaps in your meatballs, you can use some of the smaller layers to cover also.
- Remove streaky bacon from packet and cut each slice into 3-4 long strips. You will need approximately 2-3 strips of the streaky bacon per ball, depending upon the length of the bacon. You may need to piece them together with toothpicks, to secure the smaller pieces.
- Ensure the bacon is secured to the onion-wrapped meatballs with toothpicks, leaving bottom of the balls clear of toothpicks if possible, so that they sit straight on the roasting pan to cook.
- In a baking tray with sides (to catch grease from meatballs), line with baking paper. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, then turn slightly. Cook for a further 25-30 minutes until bacon is slightly crispy and meat is cooked through.
- Remove toothpicks before serving. Serve with BBQ sauce.
TIP: Lightly brush bacon with maple syrup at the 20 minute mark, for a flavour alternative. You can pierce each meatball with a decorative toothpick for serving.