Mushroom & Lentil Salad Recipe
How to Make Mushroom & Lentil Salad
- Place medium-size frying pan on low heat .
- Toss mushrooms in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with a pinch of salt.
- Pan-fry sliced mushrooms for 6-8 minutes, once cooked, pour into a bowl and set aside. (*If using pepitas: at this point, use the same pan and toast for 1 minute, then set aside.)
- Meanwhile cook microwave rice, to packet directions and set aside.
- Remove seeds from half of the pomegranate and set aside, reserving 1 teaspoon of the juice.
- Slice onion into rounds and then finely chop parsley, set aside. In a large bowl mix together brown rice, mushrooms, lentils, onion, parsley and basil. Add pomegranate seeds (or pepitas).
- In a small bowl whisk together remaining olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and pomegranate juice (if using pepitas, replace the pomegranate juice with lemon juice)
- Pour over salad and mix well to evenly coat, then serve.
- Garnish with onion ring slices and torn basil leaves.
TIP: When using pomegranate, roll with a little pressure then, using a fork, puncture the skin and squeeze the juice into a small bowl. Cut or tear the pomegranate open and remove seeds – around ¼ cup to sprinkle over the salad to garnish.
RECIPE: Courtesy of Colleen, ALDI Test Kitchen