Gluten Free, Vegan, Summer Berry Trifle by @neeksandgaston
A Gluten Free, Vegan and Refined Sugar Free version of the Summer Berry Trifle but full of flavour with layers of subtly flavoured lemon cake, lemon curd, roast strawberry compote, ‘mascarpone’ cream and fresh berries.
- Place coconut cream and lemon zest in a small saucepan and whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and cornflour until combined then add to the cream mixture.
- Lastly add the maple syrup and turmeric and whisk.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer, whisking often. Once the mixture starts to thicken, reduce the heat and continue whisking until mixture is a thick and slightly jiggly texture.
- Remove from heat, when cool you can taste and add more maple syrup or lemon depending on preference.
- In a mixing bowl beat together plant-based spread and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sieve in the flours and baking powder and fold into butter mixture.
- Add the vanilla, yogurt and lemon juice and zest and fold in gently until combined.
- Place in buttered tin and bake at 180ºC for 30 minutes (do not open the oven door during this time)
- Test to make sure cooked through and remove to cool in tin for 10 minutes before flipping onto rack for further cooling.
- Cut into cubes and set aside
- Chilling the coconut cream overnight will cause the cream to separate, leaving the water on bottom. Scoop just the cream out of the two cans (you can use water in smoothies or other cooking) and blend together with sweetener until fluffy. Set aside back in fridge.
- Place remaining ingredients in food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Fold cashew mix into coconut cream until combined and set aside back in fridge until ready.
Roast Strawberry Compote
- Place strawberries on a baking tray
- Drizzle with maple syrup and roast in oven at 180ºC for 30 minutes or until roasted.
- Blend with 1/2 bunch mint leaves, depending on preference. Don’t blend until completely smooth to keep a bit of texture.
- Place 1/3 of Mascarpone mixture in bottom of bowl
- Drizzle half of the strawberry compote
- Top with half of the lemon sponge
- Sprinkle with berries
- Drizzle with lemon curd
- Repeat, ending with Mascarpone on top and a sprinkle of berries.
- Place in fridge until ready to serve
NOTE: Individual elements can be made ahead of time and kept in fridge but best to assemble on the day you plan to serve.