Salmon Kebabs with Mint Coriander Chutney and Pickled Onions by @the_spice_adventuress
- Make sure that the skin is removed from the fillets and also there aren’t any fish bones remaining inside the fillet. Wash, pat dry and cut into large chunks.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a pan; add the onions, garlic and ginger and sauté till the onions are soft and translucent. Then add the spice powders, mix well and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- Add the salmon pieces and onion mixture to a food processor, season with salt and blitz to get a coarse, paste-like consistency. Do not over blitz or the mixture will be too pasty.
- Refrigerate the salmon mixture for about 15 minutes.
- Wet or lightly oil the palms of your hand and divide the mixture equally into small patties.
- Heat oil in a flat pan and shallow fry the kebabs on both sides till done.
- Transfer to a plate, garnish with coriander leaves and add lemon wedges.
- Serve warm with mint chutney and pickled onions.
- If you do not have a food processor, then mince the salmon using a knife. Add the salmon mince and sautéed onion mixture to a glass bowl and mix well by hand.
- Since salmon is an oily fish, no other binding agent was added to the mixture. But if you are using white fish, then a binding agent like potato should be added to prevent the kebabs from breaking.
Mint Coriander Chutney:
- Grind ingredients 1-4 with as little water as possible to get a fine paste.
- Transfer this to a bowl and add enough yoghurt to make a creamy dip.
- Add lemon juice and mix, taste and season with salt.
- Coconut yoghurt can also be used if you wish to avoid dairy.
- Place the onions in a bowl and add sugar, salt and vinegar. Mix and let stand for at least 15 minutes.
Discard the vinegar solution and add 1 cup of cold water. Strain the onions into another bowl.