Raspberry Cream Layered Sponge Recipe
How to Make a Raspberry Cream Layered Sponge
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Using 2 brownie trays, lined with baking paper. Prepare each cake mix separately, according to packet directions.
- Pour cake batter into the 2 brownie trays and bake both cakes at once for approximately 35-40 minutes or until cooked through. Cool in tin for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack, to cool completely.*
- Carefully move cakes to a flat surface and trim the top off the cake for a flat surface. Slice the cakes horizontally in half and trim the crust sides.
- In a pot on low heat, add punnet of raspberries and 100g of raspberry jam and slowly heat through. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, add the rest of the jam and whisk lightly until smooth. Using scissors to cut the marshmallows into quarters so they are ready to use and set aside.
- Place a heatproof bowl over a boiling saucepan of water, being careful the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water and heat the bowl. Carefully remove bowl and add in the sugar, maple syrup, water and egg whites. Return pot to sit over boiling water and beat with electric handheld mixer, for 4 minutes, until stiff and glossy. Add add vanilla, beetroot liquid and marshmallows. Beat until smooth.
- Layer the first cake with a thick spread of jam, then marshmallow cream and a sprinkle of coconut. Carefully stack the next cake layer and repeat for each layer.
- Finish with jam, cream and coconut on top. Top the cake with marshmallow cream, leaving a space in the centre to add a final spread of jam and raspberry mixture. Sprinkle with coconut and serve.
*TIP: If preparing ahead, these can be baked the day before, cooled completely and wrapped in cling film or store in an airtight container ahead of decorating.
RECIPE: Courtesy of Virginia, ALDI Test Kitchen