Sweet Potato Scones Recipe
How to Make Sweet Potato Scones
- Preheat oven to 240°C (220°C fan-forced). Lightly dust a large oven tray with flour.
- Place sweet potato onto a microwave-safe plate, cover with wet paper towel. Microwave for 5-7 minutes or until just tender. Drain any excess water from sweet potato then mash with a fork.
Set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the sweet potato, cream and soda water. Stir gently with a butter knife in a cutting action until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until dough just comes together (dough will be a little sticky). Place on the tray. Roll gently with a rolling pin, to form a 2cm-thick, 18cm x 20cm rectangle. Cut into 12 pieces.
- Separate scone mix on the tray, slightly apart. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature, with butter and cinnamon sugar.
Tip: These scones are delicious with half a cup of finely chopped dates or raisins added with the flour in step 3.
*To make your own cinnamon sugar, combine 2 tablespoons white sugar with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Recipe: Courtesy of Horticulture Innovation Australian Limited.