Vegan Lemon Cake Recipe
How to Make Vegan Lemon Cake
- Preheat oven to 170°C (or 190°C fan forced).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornflour, baking powder, salt, turmeric and lemon zest.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice, sugar, oil, almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix everything together, until just combined.
- Oil and flour a large cake tin (needs to hold 10-15 cups of batter).
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove cake from oven and allow to rest in cake pan for about 5 minutes before turning pan over onto a cooling rack.
- To make the glaze, place juice of 1 lemon and sugar in a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whilst cake is on cooling rack (still warm), poke small holes all over the top of the cake using a skewer. Brush the glaze over cake surface.
- To make the icing, place juice of 1 lemon in a small bowl with icing mixture. Add extra icing sugar as needed until icing is thickened to desired consistency.
- Once cake is completely cooled (after about 1 hour), drizzle icing on top of cake, letting it partially fall down the sides.
- Garnish with remaining lemon zest.