Fettucine Broccoli Alfredo with Tomato Salad
- Chop the broccoli into small florets, finely chop the stalk and set aside. Lightly steam or microwave the broccoli florets until just tender.
- Crush the garlic and finely chop the onion. Heat the oil and butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan, on medium heat. Add the onion and chopped broccoli stalk and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and flour and cook for a further 1 minute, stirring. Remove from heat and gradually stir in the cream and milk.
- Return to the heat and cook over a medium heat, stirring for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce bubbles and thickens. Season with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Cook the fettuccine in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until just tender. Drain (reserving a ½-1 cup of cooking water for thinning the sauce, if necessary) and return to saucepan to keep warm.
- Fold broccoli florets, grated cheese and cooked fettuccine into the sauce.
- Serve in warm bowls sprinkled with extra cheese and top with cracked black pepper.
- For the salad, chop the tomatoes and drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar.
TIP: Garnish fettuccine with baby basil leaves.