Rigatoni and Beef Ragu
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan-forced). Chop the bacon into small cubes. Cut the gravy beef into 3cm pieces. Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic. Finely chop the champignon mushrooms. Finely grate the Grana Padano.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Meanwhile heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes until cooked and golden. Add to saucepan with the onion mixture. Brown the beef pieces in the frying pan in 2 batches until golden. Transfer to saucepan with the onion mixture.
- Add the diced tomatoes, milk, mixed herbs and brown sugar to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1½-2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Add the chopped champignon mushrooms and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the rigatoni in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 9-10 minutes or until tender. Drain and toss together with the beef ragu. Serve sprinkled with the grated cheese.
- Toss the salad leaves with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and serve with the beef ragu.
TIP: Garnish with fresh parsley leaves.