Sausage and Capsicum Ragu with Pasta and Poached Egg
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Drizzle with oil and add the sausages. Cook for 5-6 minutes, turning, or until they are golden and cooked through. Place on a plate, cover with foil and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan with paper towel. Finely chop the red onion and slice capsicum into 2cm pieces. Reheat the frying pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and capsicum and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the tomato passata, butter, brown sugar, mixed herbs and vinegar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to saucepan, reserving ½ cup of cooking water.
- Cut the cooked sausages into 2cm slices and add to the tomato ragu. Add a little of the reserved cooking water to thin sauce if necessary. Keep warm.
- For the poached eggs: Crack an egg into a strainer to drain of any watery white. Place drained egg into a teacup. Repeat with remaining eggs, one at a time.
- Fill a saucepan with 10cm of water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to a simmer. Submerge cup into the water and tilt so the egg slips out. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook the eggs for 1½ minutes, rotating once with a spoon. Lift poached eggs out of the water using a slotted spoon and place onto a clean tea towel on a plate.
- Place the pasta into 4 warm pasta bowls. Spoon over the sausage ragu and crumble over the feta. Top with a poached egg.
TIP: Garnish with basil leaves.