Pumpkin and Bean Chilli with Green Bean Pickle and Crisp Tortillas Two Ways
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Chop the onion and carrot. Peel the pumpkin and remove seeds. Cut into 2-3cm dice. Drain and rinse red kidney beans. Dissolve the stock cube in 2 cups of boiling water. Trim and finely shred the green beans as thinly as you can.
- Place ¼ cup water, white sugar, 2 tablespoons of vinegar and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring initially to dissolve the sugar. Add the shredded beans and cook for 1-2 minutes until just tender. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, onion and carrot and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add 2 teaspoons of the crushed garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add the pumpkin, tomato paste, stock and burrito seasoning to the saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. Top up with water if mixture starts to get too thick.
- Stir in kidney beans, brown sugar, vinegar and season to taste with black pepper. Bring back to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes or until the kidney beans are hot.
- Meanwhile, place 4 tortillas on a clean work surface. Combine remaining garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small bowl. Brush the upper side of each tortilla with the mixture and season with salt and black pepper. Cut into wedges and place in a single layer on the baking tray. Bake for 4-5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Watch them like a hawk as they burn easily. Warm the remaining 4 tortillas following packet instructions or pan-fry in a dry frying pan for 1-2 minutes until warm and golden.
- Drain the beans from the pickling liquid. Serve the chilli in 4 warm bowls. Top with the pickled beans. Accompany with the tortilla chips, warm tortillas and the tomato salsa.
TIP: Sprinkle with fresh coriander.