Sweet Corn and Bacon Soup with Cheese Damper
- Cut corn from the cobs, reserve the cobs. Chop the cauliflower. Dice the bacon. Finely grate the Grana Padano. Reserve 2 tablespoons of corn kernels for garnish.
- To make the corn stock, place the corn cobs in a large saucepan and cover with 4 cups water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove cobs and discard. Add the corn kernels reserved for garnish and cook for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Remove using a slotted spoon and reserve. Add the remaining corn kernels and cauliflower to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Add the creamed corn and heat for 2 minutes. Blend with a stick blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and vinegar.
- Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the diced bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Set aside and keep warm.
- To make the cheese and garlic damper, preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan-forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop the butter into cubes. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the butter cubes and rub into the flour with your hands to combine. Add the ground garlic and ¼ cup of grated Grana Padano cheese.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk and water and mix quickly to form a soft dough. Knead gently and form into a round loaf. Place on the baking tray, slice with a cross and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of grated cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls. Top with bacon and reserved corn. Serve with the damper and any remaining grated Grana Padano.
TIP: Sprinkle chopped chives over the soup.