Vegan Beetroot Falafels Recipe
How to Make Vegan Beetroot Falafels
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced). Cut Lebanese bread into triangles and spray olive oil over each side and bake for 5 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and set aside until ready to assemble onto a serving platter.
- Make tahini dressing by combining tahini, lime juice and a drizzle of olive oil in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside until ready to assemble onto a serving platter.
- To make falafels, place beetroot, garlic, chick peas, cumin, parsley, breadcrumbs and salt into a food processor and process until well blended.
- Form the mixture into 3cm round disc shapes and set aside for 3-5 minutes. In the meantime, heat vegetable oil in a shallow frypan on medium heat and fry falafels until golden and crispy on the outside. Drain on a paper towel.
- Assemble the serving platter by dolloping the hommus on the platter and spreading it in a thin layer over the plate. Next, add a few cos lettuce leaves and top them with the falafels.
- Garnish platter with the Lebanese bread triangles, drizzle the tahini dressing over the falafels and sprinkle with dukkha, if using.
*If you don’t have any dukkha, you can use crushed pistachios for the garnish to add a little extra crunch.
Tip: You can store the cooked falafels in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.