Vegan Parmesan Cheese Recipe
How to Make Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Place raw cashews in a large food processor or blender. Process or blend until very fine. You may need to do this in batches so that the cashews are processed into a very fine powder. (Be sure to remove as soon as it becomes a powder and not to overwork it into a soft cashew cheese mix.)
- Place the cashew powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Grind the remaining ingredients together into a fine powder. It’s best to use a mortar and pestle but you can also use a blender as long as the herbs and spices are finely ground.
- Add the herb/spice mixture to the cashew powder and stir until well combined.
*Tip: You can make your own dried garlic powder at home.
- Preheat oven to 67-93°C.
- To ensure your garlic dries at the same rate, slice the garlic cloves evenly. If garlic slices are different thicknesses, some slices might dry out before others. Check and remove thinner ones so they don’t burn.
- Lay garlic slices on greaseproof paper on an oven tray.
- Cook garlic low and slow for 30 minutes to two hours. Garlic is ready when it snaps when broken in half.
NB: Cooking garlic faster or at a higher temperature may result in the garlic burning or tasting bitter.
- Let the dehydrated garlic cool, then grind it using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Sift the powder to ensure there are no lumps or large pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark and dry place.
- Add a few grains of uncooked white rice to your jar of homemade garlic powder to keep it dry.
- Powder can be frozen for a month.
Tip: Substitute different herbs and spices to create alternative flavours such as chives or smoked paprika...just make sure they’re all well ground before adding to the cashew powder.